Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Spicy corn bread


After months of procrastination, I finally sat down to write my first blog post about food and I chose the easiest recipe possible :)

When we found out that Prithvi has food allergies, I started baking quite a lot at home. We bake banana bread and vanilla cake very often but have never baked a savory bread before, so this was a first. I found a recipe on allrecipes.com (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/jalapeno-corn-bread/detail.aspx) that I used for the general proportions. I left out the jalapenos because of the kids but added red chili powder instead and also added some basil (from our garden!).





1.5 cups cornmeal (I used yellow)
1/2 cup all purpose flour (maida)
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp chili (levels can be adjusted)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup oil
1.5 cups milk
3 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup basil leaves
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add the vinegar to the milk in a separate bowl, wait till it curdles, add the oil and mix it into the milk mixture. Add the liquid to the dry mix. Add chopped basil (you could add chopped spring onions, or kothamalli). Pour the batter into a greased pan (I used a brownie-bar pan, so I didn't have to cut it later:) Optional: add some grated cheese on top for a nice golden crust. Bake at 400F for ~ 15-20 min.

Cornbread goes really well with soup.




1 comment:

  1. Yummmy!!!! Nice recipe, ya Arch!! Will try it soon- maybe this weekend:)

    ReplyDelete