I am sure that title boggles the mind...!
There was a recent study in which researchers fed one group of mice yogurt (which contains all kinds of bacterial cultures) and a second group of mice some yogurt-like food that didn't contain the bacteria. They found that mice that got the yogurt displayed more confidence in specific studies, and less anxiety than the other group.
http://www.economist.com/node/21528214
Interesting, eh? Might be an apt time for a yogurt-based recipe..Mommie, how about that irupulli? Or maanga morkozhambu...yummy!!
Anyway, recently, I made a type of salad called the panzanella salad. The interesting thing about this salad is that you toast bread in olive oil and add it into the salad- it ends up being a healthy, hearty meal! I followed the recipe on food.com for the Barefoot Contessa's Greek Panzanella.
http://www.food.com/recipe/barefoot-contessas-greek-panzanella-385941

Ingredients:
1 loaf of french bread, cubed -about 5-6 cups worth (I made this the first time with just normal bread, and that worked out well too)
olive oil and salt
1 red bell pepper/capsicum- chopped
1 tomato- chopped
1/4 red onion- chopped
1/2 can of kalamata olives- sliced
1 cucumber- peeled, halved longitudinally and sliced
1/2 a cup of feta cheese
For the dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves -crushed
1/2 tsp mustard
1/4 cup vinegar (I used red wine vinegar, but balsamic should also work)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Directions:
1. Heat 2-3 tbsp of olive oil in a pan, and toast the bread cubes along with about 1/2 to 1 tsp of salt. I waited until the bread started to brown a bit.
2. Place the chopped vegetables (peppers, tomato, cucumber, onion) in a bowl.
3. Whisk the ingredients for the dressing together. Start with everything but the olive oil, and whisk in the oil to make an emulsion.
4. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and add the olives, feta cheese and toasted bread.
5. Let sit for about 15-20 minutes before eating. The first time we had this, we didn't let it sit, and the flavors were not as infused. The crunchiness of the toasted bread contrasts with the textures of the vegetables. So if not eating it the same day, I would recommend not adding the bread into the mix, and just doing it about 1/2 an hour before eating.
See- that was easy! Enna di Aparna- salad recipe ellam ezhudi podarai... Waiting for some complicated recipes now:)
There was a recent study in which researchers fed one group of mice yogurt (which contains all kinds of bacterial cultures) and a second group of mice some yogurt-like food that didn't contain the bacteria. They found that mice that got the yogurt displayed more confidence in specific studies, and less anxiety than the other group.
http://www.economist.com/node/21528214
Interesting, eh? Might be an apt time for a yogurt-based recipe..Mommie, how about that irupulli? Or maanga morkozhambu...yummy!!
Anyway, recently, I made a type of salad called the panzanella salad. The interesting thing about this salad is that you toast bread in olive oil and add it into the salad- it ends up being a healthy, hearty meal! I followed the recipe on food.com for the Barefoot Contessa's Greek Panzanella.
http://www.food.com/recipe/barefoot-contessas-greek-panzanella-385941
Ingredients:
1 loaf of french bread, cubed -about 5-6 cups worth (I made this the first time with just normal bread, and that worked out well too)
olive oil and salt
1 red bell pepper/capsicum- chopped
1 tomato- chopped
1/4 red onion- chopped
1/2 can of kalamata olives- sliced
1 cucumber- peeled, halved longitudinally and sliced
1/2 a cup of feta cheese
For the dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves -crushed
1/2 tsp mustard
1/4 cup vinegar (I used red wine vinegar, but balsamic should also work)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Directions:
1. Heat 2-3 tbsp of olive oil in a pan, and toast the bread cubes along with about 1/2 to 1 tsp of salt. I waited until the bread started to brown a bit.
2. Place the chopped vegetables (peppers, tomato, cucumber, onion) in a bowl.
3. Whisk the ingredients for the dressing together. Start with everything but the olive oil, and whisk in the oil to make an emulsion.
4. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and add the olives, feta cheese and toasted bread.
5. Let sit for about 15-20 minutes before eating. The first time we had this, we didn't let it sit, and the flavors were not as infused. The crunchiness of the toasted bread contrasts with the textures of the vegetables. So if not eating it the same day, I would recommend not adding the bread into the mix, and just doing it about 1/2 an hour before eating.
See- that was easy! Enna di Aparna- salad recipe ellam ezhudi podarai... Waiting for some complicated recipes now:)
Love the title :) and double yay for a post on the beneficial role of microorganisms :D
ReplyDeleteThe salad sounds yummy!